Thursday 13 June 2013

When you just know exactly what you want to eat. . .

When my fiancĂ©'s travelling - which seems to be a lot at the moment- I try to be as healthy as possible- or so i make out to him! I don't snack (lie) and I go to the gym every night (another lie). Truth be told I'm definitely one of those people who comfort eats. If I'm on my own, I eat, if I'm low, I eat, if I'm bored, I eat,  if I'm happy, I eat.  . . i think you get the gist! Anyway in an attempt to start getting wedding body ready I have decided to give up evening carbs after 6pm...  but this does not mean neglecting my body of eating delicious meals. Meals are all about being creative- trial, error and success!  Thus, sitting at my desk earlier today staring out the window at the miserable grey afternoon I decided that I wanted steak and cabbage and even wrote up a little recipe then and there so I didn't over spend on anything sinful at the shop in my way home. Do you ever get that when you suddenly just know exactly what you need and want no matter what any one suggests, odd isn't it!
I know a lot of people hate cabbage and I just don't know why- you can do almost anything with it (fry, boil, wok, roast and even bake to turn in to crisps-for another blog!) and flavour it up to be utterly taste bud tantalising !
So, dressed in my gym gear- but not having made it further than my kitchen I set to work, Blue Peter style.



What you will need:

For 2. ( or a very very hungry one! )
500g steak - I use rump but you could use anything you desired (or more if you so desire)

1 tsp minced or diced garlic

1 small chili diced

8 inch spring onions to be chopped finely from the root up about 1.5 inches
Swig of soy sauce on hand (vital)
1tsp honey or marmalade
Pinch of rock salt Shake of pepper
 

For the Cabbage:

Any type of cabbage will do, cut thinly in to strips to wok
1 chicken stock cube (don't worry if you don't have one)
1/2 tsp salt (use 1 tsp if no chicken stock

Shake pepper

1/2tsp paprika

Squeeze 1/2 lime
 
What to do:


This is such a quick dish- literally 10 minutes max after preparation

Hob on, put a glug of olive oil in a wok it and let it heat

Drop in your garlic and allow it to fry until slightly golden

Drop in your chili and spring onion

Make space for the steak in the middle

Drop in steak and allow to fry on each side until sealed

Once sealed immediately add soy sauce- I normally allow a large swig (one missisipi, two missisipi, three missisipi).....

Add your marmalade or honey and mix in

Allow to simmer for 5-6 minutes on lower heat whilst you make cabbage

Note: If you want your steak to be rarer then add it later on in the process and only cook for a shorter period. I like to cook for longer so that the steak absorbs all the juices and tenderises







Cabbage

In a mixing bowl place your freshly chopped cabbage

Add in a glug of olive oil and seasoning and toss

Turn on wok or Frying pan and let it get hot

Add cabbage and fry for about 3 minutes- or less.

Note: You still want it to retain all its natural goodness and not reduce in size too much






Serve up and eat!




Great served with an ice cold glass of Chablis .......... Apparently!!! ;o)



















2 comments: