Friday 31 January 2014

A vintage wave, live music and liquor, 1930s style.

Last weekend we headed to Cecil's, a basement bar of a Victorian tea warehouse, 200 metres from London Bridge and under the looming presence of the Shard to celebrate our gorgeous friend Lisa's birthday. In a private, intimate venue holding a maximum of 120, the high ceilings of Cecil's shelter a delightful stage & impressive sound system, with live Jazz, attentive waiters and some very delicious beverage options.




The dress code on the website states:

"Outrageous, extravagant or hedonistic, the only scandal would be to remain unremarkable betwixt the glittering moths that come and go among the whisperings, champagne and stars. Be it strapless, off the shoulder or a plunging backless crowd pleaser, Ladies this is the night to adorn yourself in that dress with the perfect décolletage"

Having recently bought a stunning Jarlo floor length velvet gown that I'd been eyeing up for months, I was so excited to have the opportunity to wear it.

I also decided that in order to try and fulfil the 1930s look I wanted to try and do my hair myself, by creating a vintage wave. One of my very best friends, Ami sent me a link to a brilliant You Tube clip which I followed to the tee and urge you all to try! My hair is naturally very thick and curly, but recently - in wedding prep mode- I have had a Brazilian Blow Dry so it's a lot more relaxed with a lot less frizz.

What you need to complete the vintage wave:
  • Foam Curlers (I bought mine from Boots)
  • Mousse (I bought mine from Umberto Gianni)
  • A comb
  • Kirby grips
  • Hair spray
I wore about 12 foam curlers (from Boots) for the whole night before, which was very uncomfortable and I definitely didn't sleep well, however, the results couldn't have been better when taking them out the following day. I probably kept the rollers in for about 16 hrs in total as my hair was damp as I put them in . . . and I will admit I wasn't expecting it to work at all.




On taking out the curlers your hair literally springs up in to tight spiral curls - very Jane Eyre! You have to brush the curls out against the palm of your hand (to avoid frizz) and literally keep on brushing! I also sprayed some super hold hair spray every now and then just to keep the curls set in place. 


I was totally astounded by the results, bouncy, voluminous, glossy curls and all for the fraction of a cost of going to the hair salon!

                 

                   

I took my brush along with me to the event and a couple of times throughout the night I gave my hair a little brush and amazingly the curls stayed more or less in place!









                 

                  
                  Lisa dazzled us all in an incredible gown lent to her from a friend who works in the world of theatre.

                 



               

I think the pictures will speak for themselves in detailing what an amazing evening it was! If you want to experience something similar than for a Saturday night tickets are £20 each and this includes a welcome drink. The drinks themselves are very reasonable - for London prices- being about £6 for a Gin and Tonic and £7 for a glass of sparkles (Prosecco). Book now!

Emi x

No comments:

Post a Comment