Thursday 31 January 2013

Rustic porridge bread

This week I have been all on my own-some as my wonderful boyfriend jetted off to India for business, leaving me behind here in rainy, windy London.
But instead of grovelling in my own self pity I have packed my week to the brim: catching up with friends, spending lots of time with my kitten and making some new pieces for my summer jewellery range! 
So far I have made a couple of new pieces but I've decided that I won't share them just yet as they are still massive prototypes....  I am however wearing them about town to gauge friends / work colleagues reactions! So good so far, so watch this space.

This week was meant to be my "start dieting, stop baking and eating naughty treats" week..... and no, a Lola's cupcake with lemon in it does NOT classify as one of your 5 a day - I so wish! . . . However, I am not going to lie, I have failed MASSIVELY. Even as I write this very blog I am sucking on 3 mini eggs (yes, not 1 but 3!). So, the diet will have to start next week and I say this with strong d.e.t.e.r.m.i.n.a.t.i.o.n!

Throwing the diet guilt aside I have decided to share a recipe with you which I make regularly (and lasts for AGES)....Rustic porridge bread.
Now, don't go getting any ideas that I've literally made some porridge, shoved some yeast in it and put in in the oven, no sir! This is a quick, yeast free bread that's great for most diets! You can also use soya milk if you have an intolerance to the usual stuff!


It's such a rustic, tasty bread that's great to have as a snack with some dips, such as hummus, tzatziki, avocado or to mop up some home made soup with. Whatever you decide to do with it you are sure to love it and want to make more! It also looks great as a centre piece of a dressed table before a dinner party and is sure to get some compliments!  On this occasion I had mine with slow roasted chipolata sausages, avocado and fried off red onion and tomato! 



What you need:
150g porridge oats
200g wholemeal flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 tbs olive oil
350ml semi skimmed milk (or soya milk etc if you are lactose intolerant)
1tsp honey
50-100g pumpkin seeds, cranberries, sunflower seeds (totally optional, but adds more to the bread!)


What you need to do: 

Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 40 mins - until cooked




  • Preheat oven to 200 C








  • In a large bowl, combine porridge oats, flour, baking powder and salt

  • Add to the mix 1 tsp honey the veg oil and start including the milk, stage by stage until a dough is formed 







  • Form the dough into a ball and place on a lightly floured baking tray. I use my Kenwood Patissier with the dough hook application, but you can do it manually in a mixing bowl
  •  




  • Bake in preheated oven for about around 40-45 minutes, or until you can put a knife in so that it comes out clean












  • No comments:

    Post a Comment