Friday 15 February 2013

A Pan-Asian Valentine's Dream!

For the last 6 years, my boyfriend and I have generally spent Valentine's Day at home. A great excuse to devote all your time to each other, not have to worry about getting home at the end of the night and know that what you are eating will be delicious. Each year he has gone above and beyond with his creativity- one year, me as a poor student and him as a poor TV  production assistant I came home to an empty house (we had been house sharing at the time!) and walked in to the lounge a blaze with candles stuck in wine bottles and a picnic in the middle of it all. He'd been secretly keeping every bottle people drunk for months especially for this day. It's one of my most treasured memories, so magical and so thoughtful. 

Another year he dressed up as a waiter- so when I got home I was greeted by "Madam, may I take your coat?". Once he'd put my coat in the "Cloakroom" (bedroom) I was then led in to our lounge (we lived together by then) with everything out of it (god only knows how he did that) and just a table in the middle covered in the most beautiful meal that he'd taken the whole day off to prepare and again, filled with candles on all different levels. Needless to say, I have a keeper and he is the most wonderful human being! 

So you ask, what did we do this year? Well, as I started my Diploma Gemmology class last night (romantic, not) we decided that we'd join the masses and go to a restaurant. We both adore Pan-Asian cuisine and after much searching came across Cocochan's Valentines Menu. Mouths watering we booked and boy we we not  disappointed. 


Located on James Street, a two minute walk from Bond Street, Cocochan opens up right on to the street, with outdoor heaters and blankets for the brave! The lights low, subtle music- but not intrusive and the tables spread out enough to feel like you are in your own special bubble, Cocochan ticks many of my restaurant boxes. 

We kicked off our meal with drinks, I had a mango and passion fruit Bellini and P had (a typical man) Beer. I have to say that that Bellini (I ended up having 3...too many!) was the best Bellini I've tried - and I've tried a few ;), fruity, tangy and delicious. 



As a Valentine's set menu we had to pick what we wanted, which took a lot of decision making I can tell you - there were three options for each dish, 2 meat/ fish, 1 veggie. To start we had Dim-Sum followed by sushi.... which was divine....(!) and probably my favourite dish of the whole ding experience. A huge sushi lover, I could have eaten about three plates more it was just so good. I had the Ceviche Ura Maki Rolls and P had the Smoked Salmon and Prawn Tempura Rolls.


For main course we both chose the Chili Lemon Sole and Tiger Prawns with a side of rice. As I'm on a "pre-holiday" diet (was off it for this night obviously) I tried to be a little sensible with my portion but it was so moreish- especially after a week of being totally carb free! Slightly sticky and so soft...The lemon chili sole was really flavoursome and all so beautifully presented- as you will see in the pictures. As you can imagine we both cleared our plates in record time and couldn't wait for pudding!





Pudding was a tasting board: chocolate fondant, a spicy macaroon, chocolate covered strawberries, little fruit tartlets and a very posh profiterole! Exceedingly romantic because of it's sharing nature... you know the score! 






And to top off the perfect evening as P was handed the bill, I was handed a rose - which was such a touching gesture from the attentive waiting staff. 

Departing the restaurant, full to the brim, we walked back along the street to catch the night bus, me with a big grin on my face and a rose in my hand. 


What did you all get up to on Valentine's Day? 

Emi x 



No comments:

Post a Comment