Tuesday 5 November 2013

My spooktacular birthday cake!



So, having been sworn by the birthday girl not to wear anything "sexy" or "sultry" P and I wracked our Halloween brains and decided that in apt fashion and preparation for next year we would go as a Zombie bride and groom. Prior to the party I spent hours on eBay in bidding wars against other zombie brides to be- and maybe some real ones too- trying to win "the dress".
  
Tilly wasn't quite sure who the scary woman holding her up was...
Eventually after day's of trying and failing I succeeded and purchased a rather large, rather puffy, rather PERFECT wedding dress. I did feel a little bad that once upon a time this dress had been worn on someones very special day, but I figured this was all in aid of someone else's very special birthday party... so it was ok.  I also purchased a veil- which helped set the whole outfit off just perfectly!

P on the other hand just shoved on his dinner jacket, a white shirt and his black work shoes- boys have it so darn easy, don't they? -  but he looked absolutely brilliant non the less.

We whitened up our faces, blackened out our eyes, talc'ed our hair and reddened our lips- oh, and added a vital bullet wound to each of us!


 

In aid of Kate's birthday dinner party I decided early on in the week to make her a cake as a surprise.

Black Swan (a.k.a Birthday Girl) and the Grim Reaper. 
Us! The Zombie bride and Groom
  Death doll
Cake pops prior to decoration!

The finished cake!
I decided to make pumpkins out of cake pops and a spiders web victoria sponge cake. On the cake I decorated it in white chocolate ganache and drew a spiders web on it in black icing with some sporadic edible flys dotted around. I then made a large dark chocolate mint spider with red liquorice legs.


For the pumpkins I made an orange icing and dipped the cake pops in the icing on about 4 separate rounds until the icing completely stuck and you couldnt see the cake underneath. To decorate I used chocolate dropping for eyes and different icing for the mouths. For the stalk I cut up green wine gums!

It was a lot more stressful then I thought it would be, especially as I originally tried to make the orange colour for the pumpkins out of white chocolate- which I urge you never try- on trying to melt the white chocolate it started to congeal and on adding the colouring turned a really disgusting brown colour- needless to say, that was 5 bars of chocolate in the bin! 

 
  
 I took some candles along and after the dinner Becca and I went off to the kitchen to light the cake and took it through for Kate to blow out in typical birthday fashion. I didn't try the cake myself but I did taste a few of the "mishapen" cake pops  when I was making it and they were scrummy!




As my first "novelty" cake I was really pleased with how it turned out and I can't wait to make my next one!

Did you guys make any novelty cakes for Halloween?

Emi x  










2 comments:

  1. Oh, look at those cute little cake pops! I honestly thought they were takoyakis, but I know the cake and takoyaki combo won’t make sense. I love the cake; it’s very spooktacular. Maybe you could try dark chocolate for this year. Muriel @ Smith Island Cakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Muriel, thank you SO much for your comment! I have never heard of takoyakis - but I just looked them up and they look like a delicious savory dish- I might have to try to make some! Dark chocolate would indeed be a great idea! Emi x

    ReplyDelete